The first Sheriff of St. John Parish was elected in 1814, nearly two years after Louisiana, the only state to call it's counties "Parishes", became a state. St John was one of the first parishes created. St. John Parish, split by the Mississippi River, is located in Southeast Louisiana, approximately 30 miles west of New Orleans. The first Courthouse, established in 1807 was located in Bonnet Carre' Point, in Lucy, Louisiana, on the west bank of the Mississippi River. In 1848 the Parish Seat was moved to Edgard, Louisiana, where a new courthouse was built. In 1967, a new courthouse was constructed in Edgard, located between the old Courthouse and the Mississippi River.
This building still stands today and is occupied by the District Courts, Clerk of Court, and District Attorney. In 1967, a Courthouse Annex building was constructed in LaPlace, Louisiana, on the east bank of the Mississippi River, which houses the Sheriff's Office and Jail, Assessor's Office, and the Parish President's Office. In 1997, a new Parish Prison, housing over 300 inmates, was opened. The Criminal Investigations Division, Narcotics Division, and Patrol Division are now located in separate buildings in LaPlace, Louisiana.
The Sheriff is a Constitutional Officer of the State of Louisiana who serves a four year term. Law Enforcement and Corrections personnel are appointed by the Sheriff and must meet the certification requirements of the Louisiana Peace Officers Standards of Training (POST) Council.
Click Here to view our Past Sheriff's page.
St John the Baptist Parish