Clyde Madere Jr., 55, of LaPlace was arrested Sunday, April 2, 2023 in connection to the drug overdose death of Shelbi Ory, 31, also of LaPlace.

On Tuesday, January 31, 2023, about 8:15 a.m., officers responded to the 100 block of Rue DuBourg Drive in LaPlace in reference to an unresponsive woman found in a residence. Upon arrival, officers discovered the female identified as Ory. Deputies also searched the bedroom where Ory was found and discovered evidence of narcotics use.

Emergency medical services transferred Ory to a local hospital where she was later pronounced deceased. The St. John Parish Coroner’s Office later determined the cause of death was acute fentanyl toxicity.

After a thorough two-month investigation in which narcotics detectives interviewed several witnesses and worked numerous hours of surveillance of Madere, officers determined Madere supplied the fentanyl that ultimately caused Ory’s death.

Based on investigation, detectives obtained a judicial warrant for Madere’s arrest. On April 2, 2023, he was arrested and charged with second degree murder, according to La.

RS14:30.4: When the offender unlawfully distributes or dispenses a controlled dangerous substance listed in Schedules I through V of the Uniform Controlled Dangerous Substances Law, or any combination thereof, to another who subsequently distributes or dispenses such controlled dangerous substance which is the direct cause of the death of the person who ingested or consumed the controlled dangerous substance.

During an interview with detectives, Madere admitted he sold the drugs to Ory the night of her death. He is being held in custody in lieu of a $500,000 bond set by Judge Sterling Snowdy.

“We will continue to aggressively pursue any individual who sells these dangerous drugs that lead to someone’s death,” Sheriff Mike Tregre said. “The Sheriff’s Office will continue to conduct thorough narcotics death investigations. These dealers will be held fully accountable for a crime that costs lives and negatively impacts our community.”

Since 1986, Madere has been arrested 50 times on illegal drugs and other charges in St. John Parish. In 2008, Madere pleaded guilty to shooting a man after an argument and was convicted of negligent homicide. He was sentenced to five years in prison and served two years.